We’ve had the pleasure of welcoming Mona Shah, Head of Collectives at Rathbone Investment Management, to our new Dai studio for a one-on-one session to try on her favorite Dai pieces. As the head of collectives, Mona is responsible for fund selection and due diligence across a range of long only and alternative investment strategies. When she’s not doing her usual 9-to-5, she is passionate about writing and is a contributor to Citizen Femme, an e-travel guide for women adventurers like her who are constantly looking for ways to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. In today’s Dai’namic Woman series, we get to know more about Mona and her love for statement shoes.
1. Hey! What’s your name and age?
My name is Mona and I’m 34 years old.
2. Where did you grow up, and where do you live now?
London on both counts!
3. What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
I like to travel as well as exploring this wonderful city. I also find the time to go to an immersive theatre, festivals, and do yoga.
Mona Shah wearing the Dai Fundamental Dress meeting Theresa May at the British Museum for #IWD2018
4. What is your current work hustle and how did you get into your current role?
I’m in wealth management and I fell into it I’m afraid!
5. And what achievement are you most proud of professionally?
Nothing stands out materially, I just want to go to sleep every night thinking, “I nailed something today.”
6. Who inspires you and why?
My mentor, Brian Robinson as he’s always introspective, always smiling, and always smashing it!
6. What’s the one piece of advice you’d give to someone looking to do what you do?
Use LinkedIn to go for coffee with lots of people and don’t show up for an interview without a deep understanding
8. Who is your ultimate style icon?
So many! There’s Jenna Lyons, Louise Roe, and for red carpet, Angelina Jolie.
9. What’s your favorite item in your closet?
My green wedding dress from Marco y Maria in Barcelona.
10. And your next big splurge?
The next DAI collection! Snow is coming next week apparently so maybe a Moncler jacket too.
11. Describe your dress code at work.
It’s tailored with a twist. Matchy-matchy suits are a no-no for me! While funky shoes are a must.
12. What’s your go-to everyday outfit?
Skinny jeans and a luxe sweatshirt or a bomber from Kenzo, Marc Jacobs, or Maje. But statement shoes, always.
13. Your favorite day-to-night outfit?
Vegan-friendly leather pants are the winner here.
14. Friday outfit?
Fridays are for being spontaneous!
15. The outfit that makes you feel totally empowered?
Empowerment is a state of mind, strike a power pose, and show off your skills.
16. What workwear piece have you owned the longest, and what’s the story behind it?
Classic J. Crew pants and preppy blazers are where it’s at. Not too “city” and not too “media” but hipster with a twist.
17. If you could change one thing about the accepted professional dress code for women, what would it be and why?
I would try to change the culture of heels being the norm. Wearing flats enables me to run from one meeting to the next and network effectively across the floor.
Mona Shah’s Profile:
LinkedIn Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mona-shah-cfa-083a3695/
Citizen Femme Profile: https://citizen-femme.com/author/mona/