Earth Day Quiz - Answer Guide
1. Which of the following is the biggest cause of global warming?
- Pollution from wildfires
- Burning oil, gas, and coal
- Increasing livestock farming
- Solar radiation
The answer is burning oil, gas, and coal. Deforestation and livestock farming are also contributing factors. However, it is considered extremely unlikely that solar radiation caused the observed global temperature warming trend over the past half-century. Find out more about causes of global warming here.
2. Which of the following is not a greenhouse gas?
- Carbon Dioxide
- Nitrous Oxide
- Water Vapor
The answer is oxygen. Read more about the greenhouse effect here.
3. What is the earliest point in time scientists believe greenhouse gases began warming the world's oceans?
- Mid 1800s
- Late 1800s
- Early 1900s
- Mid 1900s
- Late 1900s
The answer is Mid 1800s. While human records show that global average temperature started to increase in the late 1800s and accelerated during the 1900s, new studies have brought this date forward to as early as 1830s based on fossil records. Learn more about the latest research here or here.
4. Which type of food has the highest carbon footprint?
- Olive Oil
5. Which of the extreme weather events below is not commonly linked to global warming?
- Exacerbated droughts
- More frequent heatwaves
- Stronger hurricanes and storms
- Frigid temperatures in lower latitudes
- Great earthquakes
- Rise of sea level
- Excessive extraction of groundwater
- Weight of urban development
- Intensifying storms and abnormal weather patterns
- All of the above
7. Which of the following has the biggest effect on curbing climate change?
- Adopting a plant heavy diet
- Cutting down on food packaging
- Cooking over clean stoves
- Throwing away less food
- Composting your waste
8. Which of the below household tasks uses the most electricity?
- Turning on the portable air-conditioner in your bedroom for an hour
- Washing and drying a single load of clothes
- Keeping the LED light on for 3 days
- Working on your laptop for a full working day
The answer is washing and drying a single load of clothes, with air-conditioning at a close second, though exact calculations may depend on specific appliances and settings. Washers and dryers are the third biggest energy consumers despite shorter period of use. Read more about what uses the most energy in your home here.